Monday, March 07, 2005

 

Syracuse gets two on All Big East squad

The Orange had two of the six best players in the Big East this year according to the coaches. Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick are All First Team Big East and joined by Ryan Gomes (PC), Jared Dudley (BC), Craig Smith (BC), and Chevon Troutman (Pitt).

My Take
I have to say I am genuinely shocked that McNamara is a first teamer. You can make a case that Carl Krauser and Allan Ray both had better seasons than GMac as guards. Curtis Sumpter also had a better year as a forward. So I am totally stunned that McNamara is a first teamer. Warrick was a unanimous selection which leads me to believe he's going to be named player of the year because no other player was listed on all the coaches ballots. I actually had 10 of the 11 players on the first and second team correct. I had Sumpter on the first team and GMac on the second and I had Chris Thomas on the second team instead of Villaneuva so I feel like I deserve a hearty pat on the back. Now that my ego had been stroked, I think the Coaches did a pretty good job. I was one of those that wasnt sold on Marcus Williams. He is going to be a very good to great player in the Big East, but I didnt feel he was better than Ray, Krauser, and McNamara and neither did the coaches. The individual hardware gets handed out tomorrow night. One category I left out was Defensive player of the year and I'm not sure who would get this but I'm going to throw out Josh Boone as my defensive player of the year.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?